Monday, October 15, 2012

Becoming Colombian



So, I've been so terrible at keeping up with my blog. Apologies to anyone (I'm sure there's a lot of you..) who has been dying to hear about my crazy life as an exchange student in Colombia. Its strange to think that most things have become normal to me now after just almost two months. Everything from the driving (stay tuned for more on this) to the food to even starting to know where I am when riding around the city that everyone here considers so small… I'd like to see these people go to Northfield for a year and then tell me they live in a tiny city. With a population of 1,158,672 it hardly seems like anyone could think they live in a small city. But what's crazy is that no matter where I go everyone seems to know each other. From restaurants to the grocery store to the mall to the club, everywhere. Its crazy. And everyone is so friendly. Hugs and kisses and arms around each other all the time. I think when I come home this will be one of the things I miss the most. And the food. Can't get enough fresh fruit… and oreos.

DRIVING

Okay so for some reason when I first got here I didn't notice that the driving was as crazy as it is. I remember thinking that it wasn't very different than back in MN. Maybe this was because my host parents are very good, cautious drivers, or maybe my brain was just absorbing too much and decided I didn't need to worry about my life while driving around, especially because no one really wears a seatbelt unless they're the ones driving. But after riding around a little more, I have realized I was mistaken. There are a lot of motorcycles because it never really gets cold here, so thats an added bonus. Also, its perfectly normal to ride a bike in the middle of the highway and not move over when cars try to pass. It seems like everyone is fearless. No problem if you are passing someone and there is a car coming from the other way, just honk so they know to move and everything will be fine. I have witnessed a motorcycle crash and seen the aftermath of two more; I've seen a cyclist fall off his bike and be unconscious for ten minutes. Getting used to it would not be the term to use, but after the first time I was less shocked. After a year of not driving and witnessing this kind of traffic and driving I think its good that I won't be bringing a car to college… Another thing about the driving, there is not such thing as a four way stop. The side streets always "stop" for the vertical streets, yet no one really seems to get too angry when someone cuts them off, which is all the time. Other than that, there are lots of round abouts. The roads by the mountains are surrounded by signs that warn you for falling rocks, last year someone died from a rock going through a window. There has been a lot of damage to roads this past year due to all the rain they've had.

TRAVELING 

So, I have been very lucky with not even being here two months and having the opportunity to travel so much. I've been to Venezuela twice; once to the border city Ureña, and once to the huge city of San Cristobol. My host grandma owns a restaurant there so we went to visit, had some good food and went shopping. Everything is cheaper there. Everything. Groceries, electronics, clothes, anything. So we stocked up on the groceries (and no apparently it doesn't matter that the meat was in the hot car for 9 hours) and we went to the mall for a few hours. I'm lucky that a lot of my family here is spread out. Right now I am sitting in my host brothers' apartment in Bogotá, and for the first time since I've arrived I am cold. Yes. Cold. I don't know what has happened to me… Its 64 degrees F and I am wishing I had a winter jacket with me. I guess I've gotten used to the climate in Cúcuta. So, yesterday we went about an hour out of the city and went to an area famous for their milk and cheese. We went to a place called "La Cabaña" that was filled with desserts and cheese. We stocked up, and everything was simply delicious.
 That night my host brother and I went downtown to the T-zone, an area in Bogotá famous for their bars and night life. We walked around for a few hours and eventually found the hard rock cafe. I don't know why I haven't collected something from each hard rock I've been to, even if it's just a picture or something. I guess now will be the start. Today we are going into the city and later this week we are going on a tram up the mountain that is said to have an amazing view. I'm so happy my host family was generous enough to let me come with them for five days. And in about two weeks from now my luck continues when I board a plane for Barranquilla. Barranquilla is on the coast, so I will be spending Halloween on the beach this year. That's a first. All the exchange students from this district and five more from two other districts that we have had the pleasure of meeting once before will arrive on the same day and stay in the beautiful beach house of Colombia's youth exchange chair women. So much to look forward to and the time is already running through my fingers, I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment